MISSIO DEI UPTOWN LEAD PASTOR
THE APPLICATION WINDOW FOR THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED
Is this for you?
To be a good fit for this job, this pastor needs to passionately pursue Jesus and encourage the congregation to do the same; he or she needs to be a gifted preacher and communicator of God’s Word, and they need to be experienced in leading a congregation forward to best live out a shared vision. If these three characteristics are true of you, we’d love to hear from you.
Missio Dei Uptown started in 2014 and is one of five congregations of Missio Dei Chicago rallying around the singular vision of “joining God as He makes all things new in the city of Chicago.” We are a spiritually vibrant community that meets in a community-centric building in the Uptown neighborhood on the north side of Chicago. Each congregation is committed to making disciples of Jesus in its context by intentionally engaging the holistic needs of its neighbors and neighborhood. Each congregation has its own budget, as well as elder, deacon, and leadership teams that care for the spiritual direction of its people. Missio Dei holds to the essential Christian doctrines best expressed in the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for a new lead pastor who will work closely alongside Missio Dei Uptown’s neighborhood elder team to lead the congregation toward our vision, mission, and values. A promising candidate will root himself or herself in the community and ardently and wisely lead and equip the congregation into faithful ministry. He or she will have a passion for non-Christians and the de-churched to follow Jesus. A solid ability to teach contextually, grow a discipleship culture, and create a welcoming, spirit-filled Sunday gathering is needed. As the lead pastor, he or she will need to be a self-starter and a strong leader passionate about collaborating and empowering people to use their talents and gifts for the church and the world. This role is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
In addition to being capable of pastoring the Missio Dei Uptown community according to the above explanation, a candidate should:
- Have a proven track record of meeting the character requirements of an elder, as outlined in scripture
- Engage and challenge all members of our community through captivating teaching of Biblical truth through scripture and personal conviction.
- Demonstrate decision-making skills and ability to implement the vision.
- Have at least 3 years of vocational pastoral experience, preferably in a diverse urban context.
- Possess a track record of delegation
- Thrive in a plurality of leadership, including equally shared authority with the neighborhood elder team and being accountable to Missio Dei Chicago’s Directional Elder Team
- Have some academic biblical training (seminary or Bible college)
- Stand in agreement with Missio Dei Chicago’s bylaws and statement of faith.
- Share two character and two ministry references.
- Look to develop and implement a vision in partnership with Missio Dei Uptown neighborhood leadership and congregants (with input as needed from the Missio Dei Chicago team) that encompasses discipleship, fellowship, and continued healing, as detailed below.
Discipleship, Fellowship, and Continued Healing
- Implement a vision for discipleship that engages and equips families, children, and individuals of all ages, including “Sunday School” spaces, but also extends into other aspects of community life for Missio Dei Uptown.
- Pursue justice, evidenced in both personal action and equipping of others
- Commit to holding space for all people, being a bridge builder and unifier, and awareness of our diverse community’s equal need for Jesus
- Show consistency of care, adaptability in diverse contexts, and the ability to communicate with empathy and effectiveness to a wide range of audiences and community partners
- Show willingness to be transparent, vulnerable, and humble while leading others.
- Have experience and passion for diverse populations and promoting equity. Must be able to lead in a manner that values every person’s voice and lived experience.
- Be willing to live in the greater Uptown area.
- Reports To: Uptown Neighborhood Elder Team and Missio Dei Chicago Directional Elder Team
- Direct Reports: Associate Pastor and Worship Director
- Goal Start Date: Spring 2023
- Full-Time Salaried Position with benefits
- Missio Dei Chicago Statement of Faith
To us, the experiences you’ve had and the gifts you have developed are more important than numbers and titles.
THE APPLICATION WINDOW FOR THIS ROLE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED.
Contact the Missio Dei Chicago Executive Elder at email@example.com